ATP Template with bundler

Invalid Carriages


Whilst the legislation makes reference to the term invalid carriage, increasingly such vehicles are being referred to as mobility scooters or mobility vehicles.

How many types of mobility vehicle are there?
There are three types of mobility vehicle:

Class 1 (manual wheelchairs) – self/attendant propelled and not electrically powered;
Class 2 (powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters) – intended for footpath or pavement use only, with a maximum speed limit of 4 mph;
Class 3 (powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters) – for use on the road, with a maximum speed limit of 8 mph but with the facility to travel at 4 mph on a footpath or pavement.

Other electrically powered vehicles such as golf buggies may look similar to mobility vehicles but they are not 'invalid carriages' within the meaning of the law and so may not be used on the public highway, pavement etc.

You do not need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you may have to register it. Only certain types can be driven on the road.

Who can use a mobility vehicle?
Class 2 and 3 vehicles may only be used by a disabled person – defined as a person with an injury, physical disability or medical condition that means they are unable to walk or have difficulty in walking. Exemptions exist for people who are demonstrating them, training others to use them or taking them for maintenance/repair. Note that you have to be 14 or over to use a class 3 mobility vehicle.

Where can mobility vehicles be used?
All vehicles (class 1, 2 and 3) can be used on footpaths, pavements, bridleways, and in pedestrian areas at a maximum speed of 4 mph. Class 1 and 2 vehicles can be used on the road if a pavement is not available or to cross the road.

Class 3 vehicles can be used on most roads at a maximum speed of 8 mph. Class 3 vehicles cannot be used on motorways, in bus lanes when in operation or 'cycle only' cycle lanes. They should not be used on dual carriageways with a speed limit over 50 mph but if they are they must display an amber flashing light so they can be seen. Indeed, it is advisable to display an amber flashing light on all dual carriageways.

As can be seen from the above, class 3 mobility vehicles are restricted to 4 mph on the pavement and 8 mph on the road. As a result of this they must by law be equipped with a speed indicator.

Class 3 vehicles must have the following features:

•    a maximum unladen weight of 150kg (or a maximum unladen weight of 200kg when carrying necessary user equipment, for example, medical supplies)
•    a maximum width of 0.85 metres
•    a device to limit its speed to 4mph
•    a maximum speed of 8mph
•    an efficient braking system
•    front and rear lights and reflectors
•    direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
•    an audible horn
•    a rear view mirror
•    an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

Where can I park?
All normal parking restrictions apply to mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs.
Your vehicle should not be left on a footpath or pedestrian area on its own if it gets in the way of other pedestrians, including wheelchair users and people with prams or pushchairs.

Does a mobility vehicle have to be registered?
Class 3 mobility vehicles, new or used, must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). To register you must complete form V55/4 for new vehicles or V55/5 for used vehicles – the forms are available from the Post Office or via the DVLA online form order service at: /order_forms.aspx?ext=gov

Send the completed form to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BE. Note:

a. You can't license your class 3 invalid carriage online or at Post Offices.
b. Include evidence of the vehicle's age (if available) and documents showing the keeper's name and address.

If you need further information about this you can contact the DVLA Contact Centre on 0300 790 6802.

Do I need to pay tax and insurance insure my vehicle?
You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it’s registered as class 3.

Whilst it is not a legal requirement to have insurance for a mobility vehicle, it is strongly advised that people take out insurance to cover personal safety, other people's safety and the value of the vehicle. In some cases your household insurance may provide cover but you would need to check this with your insurance provider.

Can I carry passengers?
Mobility vehicles designed to carry two people cannot be used on the pavement or road because they don't meet the definition of an invalid carriage in law. With regard to children, the law does not explicitly state that an adult carrying an infant in a sling/pouch is unlawful. However, it is not permitted to carry anyone else on a mobility vehicle e.g. children standing on the vehicle etc.

Is there an eyesight test?
There are no legal eyesight requirements in relation to using a mobility vehicle but it is important to have good eyesight and be able to judge distances, recognise hazards etc. If the user of a mobility vehicle were involved in an accident and it was found that the driver had poor eyesight, it could be deemed to be a contributory factor and could make the user liable to a claim. It is suggested that users should should be able to read a car’s registration number from a distance of 12.3 metres (40 feet).

What about medication and health?
If you take medication that makes you feel drowsy you should consider whether it is safe to use a mobility vehicle and consult your doctor. You should not use a mobility vehicle if you have consumed alcohol.

Travelling on public transport
All three classes of mobility vehicle may be taken on buses/trains providing the bus/train is constructed to carry a 'reference wheelchair' and your wheelchair fits those dimensions – buses are restricted to one wheelchair space. It is always advisable to contact rail operators etc. beforehand to ensure suitable facilities are available.

What advice can you offer in relation to travelling on the road?
The Highway Code now has a section in relation to powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters – see link in related information.

You should also ensure that you are familiar with the traffic signs and road markings etc. contained in the Highway Code – see link in related information.

Before going out on your mobility vehicle always check to make sure it is fully charged. You should also always carry a fully charged mobile phone with you when you go out (that you know how to use), so that you can contact someone if you need to.

Try to plan your route to avoid busy roads and rush hour traffic and aim to travel for as much as possible on the pavement (remember a class three vehicle is restricted to 4 mph when on the pavement). You must be vigilant when travelling on the pavement because pedestrians may not hear you coming. Take particular care where young children are concerned as they can dart about and change direction very quickly.

Take care not to unbalance your mobility vehicle with shopping and make sure you follow the manufacturer's guidance so that you don't overload it. Never hang shopping bags on the handlebars etc. Take care when negotiating sharp corners or roads with an adverse camber/gradient – make sure you slow down in plenty of time. If your mobility vehicle is fitted with a lap belt always use it even if you're only going on a short journey.

How about travelling at night?
Both class 2 and 3 mobility vehicles must display lights when used at night - you may also wish to wear a fluorescent jacket to make you more conspicuous.

What if I break down?
Check with the dealer that you bought the vehicle from to see if they have any schemes available that cover you if your mobility vehicle breaks down. You should always carry a fully charged mobile phone with you when you go out so that you are able to contact someone if you need to.

Can I use my mobility scooter in shops etc?
It will be a matter for the owner of the shop/shopping centre/supermarket etc. to decide what their policy will be in relation to the use of mobility scooters on their premises. If you want to clarify the matter, we would suggest you either look on their website to see if they provide the information there or contact them directly.

Are there any training courses?
Some local authorities do provide courses so you will need to check with your local council. Additionally, the following address may be of use:

The Forum of Mobility Centres
c/o Providence Chapel
Ashford Kent, TN26
Tel: 0800 559 3636
Email: mobility@rcht Web:

National Federation of Shopmobility

BHTA Wellingborough Branch

2-4 Meadow Close

Ise Valley Industrial Estate




Tel: 01933 229644

Email: Shopmobility Web:

Where can I find out more information?

Department for Transport
Sustainable Travel and Equalities
Zone 2/15
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London, SW1P 4DR.
Tel: 020 7944 2046

For general information about mobility vehicles, contact
Disabled Motoring UK
NR16 1EX.
Tel 01508 489449
Email: info@disabledmotoring .org
www.disabledmotoring .org

For further information about suppliers etc. contact
British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA )
New Loom House
Suite 4.06
101 Back Church Lane
London, E1 1LU.
Tel: 020 7702 2141
Email: bhta @bhta .com
Web: www.BHTA .net

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question