ATP Template with bundler

Disabled drivers


A disabled parking badge (otherwise known as a Blue Badge) is intended for on-street parking only. Off-street car parks, such as those provided by shopping centres, hospitals or supermarkets are covered by separate rules.


There are on-street parking concessions available to you as a Blue Badge holder. However, you must always check signs to see what the rules are when parking, as some time limits may apply in certain areas. The link below explains about the use of Blue Badges:


The Blue Badge scheme: rights and responsibilities in England - GOV.UK (


If you wish to challenge the ticket, you need to write to the address on it stating your reasons as to why you think the ticket should be cancelled - if it concerns a disabled parking permit you should include a photocopy of it.


The link below explains how to challenge a parking ticket:


Parking fines and penalty charge notices: challenging a ticket


The exemptions to wearing a seatbelt are:

  • a person who has a medical certificate, which states that on medical grounds it is not advisable for them to wear a seatbelt (including for pregnancy);
  • drivers of vehicles performing manoeuvres which include reversing (three-point turn). This includes a qualified driver supervising a learner driver performing manoeuvres including reversing;
  • the driver of or a passenger in a goods vehicle on a journey not exceeding 50 metres undertaken for delivering or collecting anything;
  • a disabled person who is wearing a disabled person's belt;
  • a person driving/riding in a vehicle for fire brigade or police purposes or for carrying a person in lawful custody including the detained person himself;
  • the driver of a licensed taxi while being used for seeking hire, or answering a call for hire, or carrying a passenger for hire;
  • a private hire vehicle while it is being used to carry a passenger for hire;
  • a person driving a vehicle used under a trade licence whilst investigating or fixing a mechanical fault with the vehicle;
  • a person involved in a procession organised by or on behalf of the Crown or which is commonly or customarily held, or a procession which a notice under section 11 of the Public Order Act 1986 has been issued;
  • a person conducting a test of competence to drive and the wearing of a seatbelt would endanger himself or any other person;
  • a person driving a vehicle if the driver's seat is not provided with an adult belt;
  • a person riding in the front of a vehicle if no adult belt is available for them in the front of the vehicle;
  • a person riding in the rear of a vehicle if no adult belt is available for them in the rear of the vehicle;
  • a person riding in a small or large bus which is being used to provide a local service in a built-up area (where the entire route consists of restricted roads);
  • a person riding in a small or large bus which is constructed or adapted for the carriage of standing passengers and on which the operator permits standing; or
  • a person riding in an ambulance while the person is providing medical attention or treatment to a patient which due to its nature or the medical situation of the patient cannot be delayed.

Failing to wear a seat belt outside any of these exemptions is an offence.


A number of vehicles are exempt from the requirement to pay tax - the main ones are:

  • Vehicles used by someone who is disabled
  • Electrically assisted pedal cycles
  • Vehicles going to/from a pre-arranged MOT - see Q360
  • Police, fire and ambulance vehicles
  • Mobility scooters/invalid carriages
  • Historic vehicles - vehicles constructed 40 or more years ago
  • Electric vehicles
  • Mowing machines
  • Steam-powered vehicles
  • Vehicles used for agriculture, horticulture and forestry
  • Gritters and snowploughs


Unless you have a disabled parking permit (see related question for full details of disabled parking scheme) you are not permitted to park on double yellow lines at any time, the restrictions apply 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year. There are a very few exceptions to this and there will be signs to indicate times/dates where it may be permitted.

You could face a fine if you park illegally or you could even have your car towed away.


Yellow lines are placed on the road because if vehicles were permitted to park there it would cause an obstruction of some sort so by ignoring the single yellow lines and parking there you are putting yourself and other motorists and vehicles at danger.

There are restrictions on each specific sign that will identify the times when you cannot park there, generally 0800hrs -1800hrs but check the sign prior to parking.

You could face a fine if you park illegally or you could even have your car towed away.


There are many rules regarding parking with blue badges and this is only to be used as a guide, not a definitive list.


  • Parking free of charge and without time limit at parking meters on-street and "pay and display" on-street parking. In some instances exemptions from time limits imposed on other users;
  • Scotland - Parking on single or double yellow lines without any time limit, providing that no obstruction is caused;
  • England and Wales - Parking on single or double yellow lines for up to 3 hours, providing that no obstruction is caused;
  • Parking in greenways out-with times of operation.
  • You should make every attempt to park in marked disabled bays, on-street parking bays or where there are no restrictions, with parking on single or double yellow line only utilised as a last resort.


  • In Scotland and Northern Ireland, there is no time restriction on parking for badge holders, unless local restrictions apply.
  • In England and Wales you will need a parking clock which must be displayed every time you park on yellow lines or in other places where there is a time restriction. The clock should be set to show the time of arrival.
  • Badge holders living in Scotland who intend to visit England or Wales should apply to their council for the loan of a parking clock which can be used for the duration of their stay.


  • Places where a ban on loading is in force, normally indicated by one or two yellow marks on the kerb. Roadside signs display times of operation for loading bays; some allow specific time limits for badge holders;
  • Parking places reserved for specific users such as resident's bays. Always check whether badge holders are exempt from these restrictions;
  • Pedestrian crossings (including zebra, pelican, toucan and puffin crossings), including areas marked with zigzag lines;
  • Clearways (no stopping);
  • A bus stop during hours of operation;
  • Double or single red lines during their hours of operation;
  • An urban clearway within its hours of operation. You may pick up or drop off passengers. All parking is forbidden;
  • School "KEEP CLEAR" markings during the hours shown on the yellow no-stopping plate;
  • Bus, tram or cycle lanes or cycle tracks. Badge holders are not entitled to drive in bus lanes during their hours of operation;
  • Where there are double white lines in the centre of the road (even if one of the lines is broken);
  • Suspended meter bays or when use of the meter is not allowed;
  • Where temporary parking restrictions are in force along a length of road, e.g. as indicated by no-waiting cones.

When parking using a blue badge, it is important to park carefully and thoughtfully, giving thought to other road users. For example, when parking on single or double yellow lines, do not park your vehicle where it will cause an obstruction or hold up traffic.

Please note that the blue badge scheme is not in force in Central London, including; the City of London, the City of Westminster, the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea and that part of the London Borough of Camden , bounded by and including Euston Road, Upper Woburn Place, Tavistock Square, Woburn Place, Russell Square, Southampton Road, Theobalds Road and Clerkenwell Road. They do offer some concessions for disabled driver and these usually consist of parking spaces reserved for blue badge holders.

For full details on the blue badge scheme, please Related Information.


Whilst the legislation makes reference to the term invalid carriage, increasingly such vehicles are being referred to as mobility scooters or mobility vehicles.

How many types of mobility vehicle are there?
There are three types of mobility vehicle:

Class 1 (manual wheelchairs) – self/attendant propelled and not electrically powered;
Class 2 (powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters) – intended for footpath or pavement use only, with a maximum speed limit of 4 mph;
Class 3 (powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters) – for use on the road, with a maximum speed limit of 8 mph but with the facility to travel at 4 mph on a footpath or pavement.

Other electrically powered vehicles such as golf buggies may look similar to mobility vehicles but they are not 'invalid carriages' within the meaning of the law and so may not be used on the public highway, pavement etc.

You do not need a licence to drive a mobility scooter or powered wheelchair, but you may have to register it. Only certain types can be driven on the road.

Who can use a mobility vehicle?
Class 2 and 3 vehicles may only be used by a disabled person – defined as a person with an injury, physical disability or medical condition that means they are unable to walk or have difficulty in walking. Exemptions exist for people who are demonstrating them, training others to use them or taking them for maintenance/repair. Note that you have to be 14 or over to use a class 3 mobility vehicle.

Where can mobility vehicles be used?
All vehicles (class 1, 2 and 3) can be used on footpaths, pavements, bridleways, and in pedestrian areas at a maximum speed of 4 mph. Class 1 and 2 vehicles can be used on the road if a pavement is not available or to cross the road.

Class 3 vehicles can be used on most roads at a maximum speed of 8 mph. Class 3 vehicles cannot be used on motorways, in bus lanes when in operation or 'cycle only' cycle lanes. They should not be used on dual carriageways with a speed limit over 50 mph but if they are they must display an amber flashing light so they can be seen. Indeed, it is advisable to display an amber flashing light on all dual carriageways.

As can be seen from the above, class 3 mobility vehicles are restricted to 4 mph on the pavement and 8 mph on the road. As a result of this they must by law be equipped with a speed indicator.

Class 3 vehicles must have the following features:

•    a maximum unladen weight of 150kg (or a maximum unladen weight of 200kg when carrying necessary user equipment, for example, medical supplies)
•    a maximum width of 0.85 metres
•    a device to limit its speed to 4mph
•    a maximum speed of 8mph
•    an efficient braking system
•    front and rear lights and reflectors
•    direction indicators able to operate as a hazard warning signal
•    an audible horn
•    a rear view mirror
•    an amber flashing light if it’s used on a dual carriageway

Where can I park?
All normal parking restrictions apply to mobility scooters and powered wheelchairs.
Your vehicle should not be left on a footpath or pedestrian area on its own if it gets in the way of other pedestrians, including wheelchair users and people with prams or pushchairs.

Does a mobility vehicle have to be registered?
Class 3 mobility vehicles, new or used, must be registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). To register you must complete form V55/4 for new vehicles or V55/5 for used vehicles – the forms are available from the Post Office or via the DVLA online form order service at: /order_forms.aspx?ext=gov

Send the completed form to DVLA Swansea, SA99 1BE. Note:

a. You can't license your class 3 invalid carriage online or at Post Offices.
b. Include evidence of the vehicle's age (if available) and documents showing the keeper's name and address.

If you need further information about this you can contact the DVLA Contact Centre on 0300 790 6802.

Do I need to pay tax and insurance insure my vehicle?
You do not have to pay vehicle tax for any mobility scooter or powered wheelchair if it’s registered as class 3.

Whilst it is not a legal requirement to have insurance for a mobility vehicle, it is strongly advised that people take out insurance to cover personal safety, other people's safety and the value of the vehicle. In some cases your household insurance may provide cover but you would need to check this with your insurance provider.

Can I carry passengers?
Mobility vehicles designed to carry two people cannot be used on the pavement or road because they don't meet the definition of an invalid carriage in law. With regard to children, the law does not explicitly state that an adult carrying an infant in a sling/pouch is unlawful. However, it is not permitted to carry anyone else on a mobility vehicle e.g. children standing on the vehicle etc.

Is there an eyesight test?
There are no legal eyesight requirements in relation to using a mobility vehicle but it is important to have good eyesight and be able to judge distances, recognise hazards etc. If the user of a mobility vehicle were involved in an accident and it was found that the driver had poor eyesight, it could be deemed to be a contributory factor and could make the user liable to a claim. It is suggested that users should should be able to read a car’s registration number from a distance of 12.3 metres (40 feet).

What about medication and health?
If you take medication that makes you feel drowsy you should consider whether it is safe to use a mobility vehicle and consult your doctor. You should not use a mobility vehicle if you have consumed alcohol.

Travelling on public transport
All three classes of mobility vehicle may be taken on buses/trains providing the bus/train is constructed to carry a 'reference wheelchair' and your wheelchair fits those dimensions – buses are restricted to one wheelchair space. It is always advisable to contact rail operators etc. beforehand to ensure suitable facilities are available.

What advice can you offer in relation to travelling on the road?
The Highway Code now has a section in relation to powered wheelchairs and mobility scooters – see link in related information.

You should also ensure that you are familiar with the traffic signs and road markings etc. contained in the Highway Code – see link in related information.

Before going out on your mobility vehicle always check to make sure it is fully charged. You should also always carry a fully charged mobile phone with you when you go out (that you know how to use), so that you can contact someone if you need to.

Try to plan your route to avoid busy roads and rush hour traffic and aim to travel for as much as possible on the pavement (remember a class three vehicle is restricted to 4 mph when on the pavement). You must be vigilant when travelling on the pavement because pedestrians may not hear you coming. Take particular care where young children are concerned as they can dart about and change direction very quickly.

Take care not to unbalance your mobility vehicle with shopping and make sure you follow the manufacturer's guidance so that you don't overload it. Never hang shopping bags on the handlebars etc. Take care when negotiating sharp corners or roads with an adverse camber/gradient – make sure you slow down in plenty of time. If your mobility vehicle is fitted with a lap belt always use it even if you're only going on a short journey.

How about travelling at night?
Both class 2 and 3 mobility vehicles must display lights when used at night - you may also wish to wear a fluorescent jacket to make you more conspicuous.

What if I break down?
Check with the dealer that you bought the vehicle from to see if they have any schemes available that cover you if your mobility vehicle breaks down. You should always carry a fully charged mobile phone with you when you go out so that you are able to contact someone if you need to.

Can I use my mobility scooter in shops etc?
It will be a matter for the owner of the shop/shopping centre/supermarket etc. to decide what their policy will be in relation to the use of mobility scooters on their premises. If you want to clarify the matter, we would suggest you either look on their website to see if they provide the information there or contact them directly.

Are there any training courses?
Some local authorities do provide courses so you will need to check with your local council. Additionally, the following address may be of use:

The Forum of Mobility Centres
c/o Providence Chapel
Ashford Kent, TN26
Tel: 0800 559 3636
Email: mobility@rcht Web:

National Federation of Shopmobility

BHTA Wellingborough Branch

2-4 Meadow Close

Ise Valley Industrial Estate




Tel: 01933 229644

Email: Shopmobility Web:

Where can I find out more information?

Department for Transport
Sustainable Travel and Equalities
Zone 2/15
Great Minster House
33 Horseferry Road
London, SW1P 4DR.
Tel: 020 7944 2046

For general information about mobility vehicles, contact
Disabled Motoring UK
NR16 1EX.
Tel 01508 489449
Email: info@disabledmotoring .org
www.disabledmotoring .org

For further information about suppliers etc. contact
British Healthcare Trades Association (BHTA )
New Loom House
Suite 4.06
101 Back Church Lane
London, E1 1LU.
Tel: 020 7702 2141
Email: bhta @bhta .com
Web: www.BHTA .net


Waiting restrictions indicated by yellow lines apply to the carriageway, the pavement and the verge. You can stop to load or unload (unless there are no loading restrictions) or while passengers board or alight.

Double yellow lines mean no waiting at any time, unless there are signs that specifically indicate seasonal restrictions. The times at which the restrictions apply for single yellow lines are shown on nearby plates or on entry signs to controlled parking zones. If no days are shown on the signs, the restrictions are in force every day including Sundays and Bank Holidays.

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question