ATP Template with bundler

Useful information



PNLD is not responsible for content of external sites.

Action Fraud - Fraud and financially motivated cyber crime - 0300 123 2040

Alcoholics Anonymous - Alcohol addiction help - 0845 769 7555

BBC - Public service broadcaster, information on numerous subjects

CEOP - Child Exploitation and Online Protection Command - online child protection

Chartered Trading Standards Institute - Consumer Protection - 0808 223 1133

Citizens Advice - Free, independent, impartial advice

Consumer Rights - 0345 404 0506

Counselling Directory - Find a counsellor in your local area

Crime Stoppers - Report anonymously / pass on information about a crime - 0800 555 111

DEFRA - Department of Environment, Food and Rural Affairs - 03459 335577

DVLA - Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency

DWP - Department for Work and Pensions

FCDO - Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office

GOV.UK - A to Z of public services

HM Passport Office - Passport adviceline - 0300 222 0000

HMRC - HM Revenue and Customs

Immobilise - The UK national property register

Law Society - find a solicitor in your local area

ManKind - support for male victims of domestic abuse

Narcotics Anonymous - Drugs advice - 0300 999 1212

National Rail - National rail enquiries, train times and tickets

National Express - National coach service, coach times and tickets - 0871 781 8181

National Cyber Security Centre - Cyber security guidance and support

National Domestic Abuse Helpline - National Centre for Domestic Violence - 0808 2000 247

NSPCC - National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children - Child protection charity 0808 800 5000

Rape Crisis - Rape Counselling / advice

Relate - Relationship counselling /support - 0300 0030 396

RSPB - Royal Society for the Protection of Birds

RSPCA - Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals - cruelty line: 0300 1234 999

Samaritans - Charitable organisation available 24 hours a day for anyone who is struggling to cope, needs someone to listen or feels suicidal - 116 123

SANE - Mental health advice

Talk to Frank - Drugs advice - 0300 123 6600

Victim Support - Support for victims of crime and traumatic events - 0870 521 0410


In situations of this nature one person may have bought the vehicle, whilst the other may be shown as the registered keeper. This may give rise to a situation in which one person requires the other to return the vehicle and if they don't the person may allege they have stolen it. If this situation arises there are a number of points that you need to bear in mind.

Theft – in relation to theft, it is an offence for a person to dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it. It is not dishonest if a person has a genuine belief (the belief is a subjective test) that:

a. he/she had a legal right to the property, whether a legal right exists or not is not the issue, or

b. the other person would consent if he knew of the taking and the circumstances of it, or

c. the owner could not be traced by taking reasonable steps, (a matter for a court to decide).

However, the vast majority of these cases are not theft. They are civil disputes and for this reason we would initially suggest that you speak to a solicitor or someone from the Citizens Advice via the link below:

If they advise you to report the matter to the police, you can do so via the non-emergency 101 number.

Ownership of vehicle – whether a person is the owner of a vehicle is a question of fact for a court to decide. Relevant facts are the way the person treats/uses the vehicle, whether they have insurance for it and whether they have spent money on its purchase/upkeep etc. In the case of a car used by a married couple, ownership of any property is usually classed as joint. For an explanation of the difference between the 'owner' of a vehicle and the 'registered keeper' of a vehicle see link below:

Civil dispute
- in a civil dispute over ownership of a car, if you are the legal owner of the vehicle and your ex has it, you can either require its return and seek a court order to this effect or sue them for its cost. You will need to seek legal advice from a solicitor to do this.

Police involvement – the police will only become involved in situations of this nature if a criminal offence has been/is about to be committed. Therefore, if your ex threatens you or you have been advised to report the matter as theft etc., you would be justified in calling the police on 101 for a non-emergency response or 999 for an emergency response.

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question