ATP Template with bundler

International Issues


If you are required to register, your passport will be endorsed on entry to the UK.

Each police force has a department that deals with foreign nationals, the list below details countries whose nationals are generally required to register:

Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyztan , Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Yemen.

This list is not exhaustive and any foreign national can be required to register with the police if it is considered necessary by the relevant authorities.

There are some circumstances where you don't need to register with the police, such as if you have permission to live permanently in the UK or have permission to stay as a seasonal agricultural worker for example. There are other exemptions so it is best to check if you are unsure. You can do this by checking on the government website in the related links to this question.


You need to report the loss to the police and also to the Immigration Service as soon as possible.

For further information, please see the link to websites in related information.


If you want to stay in the UK as a refugee then you must apply for asylum. To be eligible you must have left your country and be unable to go back because you fear persecution.

You should claim asylum at your port of entry into the UK. If you fail to claim asylum on arrival you will need to evidence to the authorities that you had a valid reason for not claiming asylum upon your first entry into the UK.

Asylum seekers should make their application at their port of entry to the UK, or as soon as possible after entry, to the Immigration and Nationality Directorate. In some cases, claimants should pursue their claim in another EU member state or other safe country, whereupon the Nationality Directorate can remove them to that country.

For more information on eligibility and the process of applying for asylum please see the website in related links.


If the member of your family is outside the UK, they should contact their nearest British Diplomatic Office in their country of origin and make enquiries with them on how to apply.

You can find further information about whether you can apply to settle in the UK by following the link to the website in Related Information.


The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) provides accurate and up to date travel advice for over 220 countries on their website.

For more information please see links to the relevant websites in Related Information.


What action you should take will depend on whether you and the suspect were in the same country when the offence occurred. If this is the case, you will need to make a report to the local police service of that country.

When making the report you should make a note of the date, time, details of the incident itself, which police officer and station it was reported to and any relevant contact information. This will help support any insurance claims made and will be useful if you are required to give evidence in court.
We would also advise that you find the nearest British Embassy, Commission or Consulate who will be able to assist you.
If you and the suspect are/were in different countries when the crime occurs then you will need to make a report to the police in your own country - not the country where you think the crime occurred. This is because there are official procedures that must be followed when investigating international crime, and the request must come from a recognised law enforcement authority.

To find your nearest Embassy and for further information, please see the websites in Related Information.


This information has been reproduced with the kind permission of the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).

  • If the insurer's name is known check the MIB website for any Green Card Agents who will handle the claim on behalf of the foreign insurer.
  • If the insurer's name is not known, contact the MIB's Green card department on 01908 830001.
  • if the accident involves a foreign lorry, take a note of the registration plate from the front of the lorry (there may be a different number on the trailer) as well as the policy and Green card numbers.
  • For security reasons, we can't reproduce a Green card here, however, the numbered boxes relate as follows:
    3- validity dates
    4 - Green card number
    5 - Registration or chassis number
    6 - Category and make of vehicle
    7 - Policy holder and user name and address
    8 - Insurer's name

For more information see website in related information.


The USA have a visa waiver programme for any person holding passports from certain countries (United Kingdom passports are included) as long as that person has never been arrested and/or convicted.

If you have been arrested, you must declare it whether or not that arrest resulted in a conviction. The Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 does not extend to the USA so you must declare all convictions regardless of whether they are classed as spent or not.

Most minor road traffic offences that were dealt with by way of fixed penalty (i.e. no arrest or court appearance) do not count and you will be eligible to travel under the visa waiver programme.

If you have been arrested/convicted, then you must apply for a visa from the US Embassy in London before you travel to the USA. Failure to have a visa means that you could be refused entry and returned home at your own expense. Have a look at the Visa Waiver Wizard (first link in Related Information) which only takes a minute to complete - it is just a guide for your own information, you do not have to enter personal details.

A conviction could mean that you are classed as permanently ineligible to travel to the USA, however, you may be able to apply for a waiver of permanent ineligibility from the Department of Homeland Security. This is not automatic and depends on several factors depending on the nature of the crime and when it was committed.

If you are unsure it is always better to check as you could be refused entry to the USA. In the current climate, it is highly likely that the USA authorities will be aware of your personal details before you travel to the USA.

Also, see the website in Related Information for more details.


Please see below the most frequently asked questions regarding the Ebola virus:

Can you catch Ebola from breathing near an infected person?
No. Ebola cannot be transmitted in the air. It has to come from direct contact with the bodily fluids of an infected person (eg. saliva, mucus, vomit, faeces, sweat, tears).

Is washing my hands really going to stop the spread of Ebola?
Yes. Maintaining high standards of personal hygiene means that you kill any germs you might contract from an infected person before you can ingest them.

Should I use alcohol hand gel?
Using alcohol hand gel is generally considered to be good practice to avoid communicable diseases. It will prove effective against virus transmission, including the Ebola virus.

I am worried that I could catch Ebola from someone who is not showing symptoms?
A person does not become infectious until they are showing symptoms.

What should I do if someone sneezes/coughs in my face?
Follow general hygiene protocols. In particular make sure you wash hands and face, as this will help to stop transmission. Also remember that being sneezed or coughed on is not enough to catch Ebola, bodily fluids need to be ingested.

What are the signs of Ebola?
Ebola symptoms are non specific in the early stages, for example fever, and can be like other infections such as malaria which may also be common in the same parts of the world. Symptoms may last from a few days to a week or more. In the later stages there may be vomiting, diarrhoea, skin lesions and bleeding.

How can you contract the virus and how is it spread?
Ebola is transmitted by direct contact with the blood or bodily fluids of an infected person. Avoiding contact with those infected mitigates the risk of infection. The incubation period of Ebola ranges from 2 to 21 days.

Is the UK prepared for a potential outbreak of this highly infectious and deadly virus?
Yes. We have well-tested systems for dealing with any imported case of this type of disease. PHE and NHS England have plans in place to identify and promptly treat patients. We have robust prevention measures to contain infection, including specialist units if needed.

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question