ATP Template with bundler



If you find some treasure you have 14 days to notify the coroner for the district in which the treasure was found or 14 days from when the finder first believes the object is treasure.  Failing to do so could lead to a substantial fine and/or imprisonment. Treasure finds can also be reported to your local Finds Liaison Officer who can inform the relevant Coroner of the find on your behalf.

You may be eligible for a reward from the Secretary of State for finding the treasure. For more details see the websites in Related Information.


Treasure is defined as something, which is

•    Any metallic object, other than a coin, provided that at least 10 per cent by weight of metal is precious metal (that is, gold or silver) and that it is at least 300 years old when found. If the object is of prehistoric date it will be Treasure provided any part of it is precious metal.
•    Any group of two or more metallic objects of any composition of prehistoric date that come from the same find (see note below).
•    Two or more coins from the same find provided they are at least 300 years old when found and contain 10 per cent gold or silver (if the coins contain less than 10 per cent of gold or silver there must be at least ten of them). Only the following groups of coins will normally be regarded as coming from the same find: Hoards that have been deliberately hidden; Smaller groups of coins, such as the contents of purses, that may have been dropped or lost; Votive or ritual deposits.
•    Any object, whatever it is made of, that is found in the same place as, or had previously been together with, another object that is Treasure. 

Treasure does not include objects, which are -

  • unworked natural objects (including animal or human remains);
  • minerals as extracted from a natural deposit; or
  • single coins or groups of coins you lost over a period of time.

If you are unsure as to whether the items you have found are treasure, then it is advisable to contact the coroner or your local Finds Liaison Officer who will be able to advise you.

This is only a summary for more details see the websites in Related Information.

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question