As a witness…
- You will be required to attend at a police station in order to take part in the procedure.
- The main method of identification used is video identification.
- You will be shown a video, which contains images of several different people. You will be asked to identify the person you believe to be the suspect.
- At no time during either procedure will you encounter the suspect.
As a suspect…
- As a suspect you will receive notice of the identification procedure and will have been told which type of procedure is going to be used.
- The main method of identification used is video identification. This is because it is easier and quicker than an identification parade.
- If you refused all methods of identification, then this can be used in evidence at any possible trial. The police may also proceed covertly with the identification.
- In video identification your image will be captured for a short time. This is then sent off to a central bureau to ensure it is of a necessary quality.