ATP Template with bundler



The Big Issue is a street newspaper that support the homeless, the vulnerably housed and the poor.

Big Issue sellers are registered, complete a training course and sign a code of conduct before they are allowed to sell the magazine. The code of conduct states the rules that the seller must abide by. The sellers are not employed by the Big Issue they are effectively self-employed.

All registered sellers have a date badge in view and wear a red Big Issue tabard whilst selling the magazine. If you have any feedback or queries about Big Issue sellers then contact the Big Issue:

Telephone: 0207 526 3444


Busking is not illegal. However, to do so, you may need a licence from your local council. Some local authorities have passed byelaws prohibiting busking altogether. If you want to busk we advise contacting your local authority to see if any byelaws have been passed with regards to busking. Children under 14 years may not busk.

Please see the website in related information to find your local authority.


Every council has responsibilities towards someone who is homeless. If you go to the council claiming that you are homeless they will carry out an assessment (a questionnaire) on you and your situation.

If the council decides that you are classed as priority then they have to find you accommodation. Priority would be classed as elderly, disabled, pregnant mother, a person fleeing violence, severe medical condition, juvenile etc.

If you are not classed as priority then the council will make every effort to find you accommodation. However places in hostels are limited.

See the website in related information to find your local authority.

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question