The Environment Agency has information on flooding, including whether your home is at risk of flooding, how to prepare for a flood, and up to date flood warnings. The information can be found at:
There is also a telephone number to ring: 0345 988 1188, which will give you up to date information on flood warnings.
Some simple steps which the Environment Agency suggest to take, which should help lessen the damage flooding can cause, are:
- Turn off gas, water and electricity supplies at main.
- Unplug all electrical items.
- Move as much furniture and valuable items upstairs as possible.
- For heavy furniture try and lift it off the floor using bricks or something similar.
- Use sandbags and sealants around doors and windows to try and stop water from entering.
- Take up carpet and rugs if possible and remove curtains or hang them over the rails to protect them.