ATP Template with bundler

Production of driving documents


It may be a matter of being pragmatic in these circumstances and carrying your driving documents with you (meaning on your person or placed in the hotel safe etc. and not left unattended in the car).

It is an offence not to produce your documents to a police officer upon request. However, you are allowed to:

  • produce the documents within seven days at a police station specified at the time the producer (HO/RT1) was given or
  • produce the documents at the specified station as soon as is reasonably practicable. The length of time this means will be taken on a case by case basis.

So in the above situation, you should make every effort to produce the required documents as soon as possible, there is no guarantee however that your reasons for non-production will be accepted and you will then be reported for summons.


No, the paper counterpart to photocard driving licences is no longer valid and is no longer issued by the DVLA (Note: this does not affect photocard licences issued by the DVLA in Northern Ireland). So, if you have a photocard licence, you only need to surrender the photocard part - see the question on paper counterpart licences for further information.


You still need to attend at the chosen police station to show your driving documents. You should explain the circumstances and see if they are willing to grant an extension. Extensions are discretionary and it will be up to each Force as to whether they are granted or not.


It is an offence not to produce your driving licence, certificate of insurance and MOT certificate when requested to do so by a police officer. However the usual action is that the police officer will issue a HO/RT1/ (called a 'producer') requiring you to produce the documents at a police station of your choice within 7 days. If this is done and they are in order, then that is the end of the matter.

You will be reported for failing to produce the documents at the time of the request for production (so that extra time is not spent re-visiting you at home if you do not produce). If you fail to produce the documents within the 7 day period or they are not in order, you will be summonsed to attend court.

From a crime prevention point of view it is better never to leave your driving documents in your car and produce them within the 7 day period.


You need to contact the Camera Unit of the Central Ticket Office (sometimes called Central Process Bureau or similar) of the force concerned to ask for a copy and in most circumstances you will be issued with a copy document.

If it was a conditional offer and you have failed to pay or contact the Camera Unit, you may be issued with a summons to attend court.

If it was a summons you must contact the court in question as a failure to appear at court could lead to a warrant for your arrest being issued.

Do not delay. There are time limits on these processes and they can get more expensive (or even lead to your arrest) if you do nothing.


No, the police do not need any reason to stop any person driving a mechanically propelled vehicle or riding a pedal cycle on a road. The police can then require that you provide your name, date of birth (in certain circumstances), driving licence, insurance and MoT certificates. Failure to comply with any of these requirements is an offence.


The following link explains the process you need to follow:

How to share your driving licence information.

You can obtain a code via the link below:

In order to use the service you will need:

  • Your driving licence number (Thanks to DVSA for the photo)

N.B If the image does not display, you can view here.

  • Your post code
  • National insurance number – you can obtain this via the link below:

Each code is valid for 21 days and can only be used once.


When you sell or transfer your vehicle you must notify the DVLA straight away using the V5C part of your registration document. Remember by law, it is the seller's responsibility to tell the DVLA about the change of keeper. If you don't do this you commit an offence and you will still be liable for the vehicle.

If you have your V5C registration document you need to:

  • Fill in sections 6
  • Sign and date the declaration in section 8 along with the new keeper
  • Fill in section 10 (V5C/2) and give it to the new keeper – they will need this to tax the vehicle
  • Keep a record of the new keeper's name and address
  • Tear off section 1 to 8 (V5C) and send it to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA

If you don't have your V5C registration document you need to write to the DVLA via the following address DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA, and give them the following details:

  • The vehicle's registration number, its make and model
  • The name and address of the new keeper
  • The date when you sold it
  • Your signature

You should check that the new keeper sends a completed form V62 (application for new registration certificate) to the DVLA – if they don't do this the police could contact you about the vehicle. Form V62 is available via the link below:

Note that if you buy a vehicle without a V5C certificate you can't tax it and drive it on public roads until you get a replacement.

You must fill in section 9 of the V5C and send it to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD – the motor trader does not require this section and should not keep it. You should then give the rest of the V5C to the motor trader. Remember it is your responsibility to ensure that section 9 is sent to the DVLA – this is the case even if the trader offers to do it for you. In the event that the motor trader keeps the whole of the V5C, you should send a signed letter to the DVLA that confirms who you passed the vehicle to (motor trader's details) and the date that this occurred.

You can also notify the DVLA via the link below:

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question