ATP Template with bundler

Are vehicles such as electric scooters/bikes, quads, go-peds, mini-motos, hoverboards and Segways legal to use on the road/pavement?


Electric scooters, quads, go-peds, mini-motos, hoverboards and Segways
In legal terms, these are all examples of vehicles that may be considered motor vehicles and are therefore subject to all the usual legal requirements that apply to other motor vehicles such as cars or motorcycles.

Therefore, they cannot be used on the road unless they are taxed (if required), registered, have an MOT (if required), are insured and the driver has a valid driving licence for the category of vehicle. If any of these requirements are not met, the vehicle can't legally be driven/ridden on the road.

In reality, many of these types of vehicle will never be 'road legal' because their design fails to meet road-vehicle safety standards.

Note also that it's an offence to use such vehicles on the pavement too.

They cannot be used on council land e.g. parks, unless there is a designated area specifically for them. In some areas, there may be commercially operated parks where they can be used.

They can only legally be used on private land/property with the permission of the land/property owner. However, note that it's against the law for a child under 13 to drive/ride on a tractor or self-propelled vehicle e.g. a quad, when it's being used in agricultural operations.

Electric bikes
Electric bikes known as Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles (EAPCs) can be used on the road as long as they meet certain requirements (see Q605) and the rider is at least 14 years old.

EAPCs aren't classed as motor vehicles and so don't require insurance and the driver doesn't need a driving licence. Additionally, they are exempt from having to be registered and vehicle tax.

EAPCs cannot be used on the pavement.

Electric scooter trials
In some parts of the country, you can legally rent an electric scooter as part of a government trial – this is explained in Q1062.

Related questions


From the 28th September 2020, the way the theory test works in England, Scotland and Wales will change.


The change is intended to make the test more accessible but especially to those with reading/learning difficulties or conditions such as autism.


To begin with, the change will only apply to car driving tests.


Presently, you have to read a case study and then answer 5 questions about it, but if you take the test from 28th September, you'll watch a video clip instead of reading the case study and then answer 3 questions about it.

The video will be quite short, silent and you can view it as many times as you wish – you'll then need to correctly answer 3 multi-choice questions about it. You'll have to choose the correct answer to each question from 4 possible answers.

You can watch an example the type of video clip you'll be shown in the link below:


https://youtu .be/FnMMjuaS8fQ


You'll be asked question such as:

  1. Why are motorcyclists considered vulnerable road users?
  2. Why should the driver, on the side road, look out for motorcyclists at junctions?
  3. In this clip, who can cross the chevrons to overtake other vehicles, when it's safe to do so?


The screen you'll see will look like the one shown below:



If the image does not display, please click here.


(Image courtesy of the DfT)

Did you find this question useful?


Not all collisions require officers to complete a collision report.

In some instances a collision report will not be released until the police file has been finalised.

If you are a solicitor or an insurance agent, you can apply on behalf of your client for a copy of any existing collision reports the police have.

People can also apply for collision reports or request details of third parties involved in a collision if they are representing themselves in civil proceedings.

Information on how to make a request and details regarding costs can be found on local police force websites. See the link in Related Information for force contact details.


During the summer of 2021, the standard (or premium) grade of petrol in the UK will become E10, meaning that the petrol will contain up to 10% renewable ethanol – this has been done to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and help tackle climate change.

E10 petrol can be used in almost 95% of petrol powered vehicles on the road today, including cars built since 2011. You can check whether your vehicle is compatible with E10 petrol here.

If you can't use E10 petrol in your vehicle, you will still be able to use E5 petrol by purchasing the 'Super' grade petrol available at most petrol stations.

Petrol stations will clearly label E10 and E5 petrol using these markings:

E10 Petrol

Note that the change only applies to petrol – diesel fuel will remain unchanged.

Providing your vehicle is compatible with E10 petrol, there's no reason you can't mix the two grades of petrol (E5 and E10). It's perfectly safe to mix them in the same tank or fill up with E5 if E10 is not available.

If you put E10 petrol in a non-compatible vehicle, simply fill up with E5 ('Super') petrol next time. Using a single tank of E10 fuel in a vehicle that is not compatible should not be a major problem – just make sure you fill up with the correct E5 petrol next time you refuel. Unlike putting petrol into a diesel engine, you shouldn't need to drain the tank and, on a one-time basis, will not suffer engine damage as a result. However, prolonged use of E10 petrol in a non-compatible vehicle may cause harm and is not recommended.

Did you find this question useful?


It is safest to assume that all the lights on your vehicle must be in working order – if they aren't you may commit an offence. However, there are exemptions in relation to a:

  • rear fog lamp on a vehicle which is part of a combination of vehicles, any part of which is not required to be fitted with a rear fog lamp.
  • rear fog lamp on a motor vehicle drawing a trailer.
  • defective lamp, reflector, dim-dip device or headlamp levelling device on a vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset, if any such lamp, reflector or device became defective during the journey which is in progress or if arrangements have been made to remedy the defect as soon as possible.
  • lamp, reflector, dim-dip device, headlamp levelling device or rear marking on a combat vehicle in use on a road between sunrise and sunset.
  • front fog lamp or a daytime running lamp on a vehicle which was first registered before 1st March 2018.

Did you find this question useful?


It means that more than likely you have been flashed by a speed camera or gone through a red light or committed another minor traffic offence.

The exact offence will be stated on the summons, along with the date of the court appearance - you must attend court on this date. If you can't attend, you must contact the court as soon as possible. You may be able to plead guilty by post to the alleged offence, the summons will explain your options.

Did you find this question useful?

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question