ATP Template with bundler

What is the law with regards to graffiti?


Below is a brief overview of the different laws concerning graffiti:

  • Graffiti is an offence of criminal damage and can be reported to your local police force via 101. If prosecuted, the offender could face a fine or even imprisonment.
  • Under 16's are not permitted to buy aerosol paint cans.
  • Local authorities can issue fixed penalty notices for offences of graffiti.
  • Local authorities are responsible for cleaning it up from public buildings and fixtures. They can also clean it from private buildings and can bill the owner for the work.

Some UK Councils provide spaces called 'free walls' for graffiti artists to use for their art. To find where you nearest free walls are, contact your local authority. See the websites in related information to find your local authority.

If you know someone who is causing graffiti call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111

Contact your local police force

Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

If you can't find the answer?

Submit A Question