Q958: What should I do in the event of a terrorist attack?
If you are involved in a terrorist incident, the main advice to remember is 'run, hide and tell.'
- RUN -
- Only if this is possible, do not put yourself in further danger.
- Insist that others leave with you
- Leave your belongings behind
- Consider the safest route - is there a safe route?
- HIDE -
- If you cannot run, find cover from gunfire (e.g. behind substantial brick work)
- Make sure the attacker cannot see or hear you - put your phone on silent and turn vibrate off
- Be aware of your exits and try not to get trapped
- Barricade yourself in and keep away from the door
- TELL -
- call 999 as soon as you get the chance
- If you cannot speak, follow the call taker's instructions
- Give any relevant information - location, description of attackers, casualties
The National Counter Terrorism Security Officer (NaCTSO) provides further guidance, please see related information for a link to this.