Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q915: I've sold my car but now that car tax is non-transferable how can I get a refund?

    When a vehicle is sold, scrapped or the registered keeper has declared SORN, the registered keeper will get an automatic refund for any outstanding full calendar months of tax that remain. Therefore, it's important that you notify the DVLA of any changes to your details – to do this you must:

    • Write the new details in section 6 of your V5C (joint names or Post Office box addresses are not allowed).
    • Sign and date the declaration in section 8.
    • Send the whole V5C to the following address – DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA.

    What information do I need to provide to the DVLA if I sell my car?

    When you sell or transfer your vehicle you must notify the DVLA straight away using the V5C part of your registration document. Remember by law, it is the seller's responsibility to tell the DVLA about the change of keeper. If you don't do this you commit an offence and you will still be liable for the vehicle.

    If you have your V5C registration document you need to:

    • Fill in sections 6
    • Sign and date the declaration in section 8 along with the new keeper
    • Fill in section 10 (V5C/2) and give it to the new keeper – they will need this to tax the vehicle
    • Keep a record of the new keeper's name and address
    • Tear off section 1 to 8 (V5C) and send it to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA

    If you don't have your V5C registration document you need to write to the DVLA via the following address DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BA, and give them the following details:

    • The vehicle's registration number, its make and model
    • The name and address of the new keeper
    • The date when you sold it
    • Your signature

    You should check that the new keeper sends a completed form V62 (application for new registration certificate) to the DVLA – if they don't do this the police could contact you about the vehicle. Form V62 us available via the link below:

    Note that if you buy a vehicle without a V5C certificate you can't tax it and drive it on public roads until you get a replacement.

    You must fill in section 9 of the V5C and send it to: DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1BD – the motor trader does not require this section and should not keep it. You should then give the rest of the V5C to the motor trader. Remember it is your responsibility to ensure that section 9 is sent to the DVLA – this is the case even if the trader offers to do it for you. In the event that the motor trader keeps the whole of the V5C, you should send a signed letter to the DVLA that confirms who you passed the vehicle to (motor trader's details) and the date that this occurred.

    You can also notify the DVLA via the link below:

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question