Q84: Do you have any general advice to make my home more secure?
Here are a few tips on how to make your home more secure:
· Install a visual burglar alarm.
· Install windows and doors that have a key operated lock.
· Tell a trusted neighbour if you are going on holiday; ask if they would perhaps draw the curtains on an evening.
· Consider joining your local Neighbourhood Watch Scheme.
· Have a chain and a peephole on your door/s.
· Lock the garden shed.
· Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house. Do not leave any window open.
· Remember to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turn the key).
· Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you're just out in the garden.
· Keep all keys out of view, in a place where you can quickly find them.
· Fit a restrictor to your letterbox.
· Put your lights or a radio on a timer when you are out in the evening.
· Mark your property with a postcode and a house number, then register it with Immobilise. See www.immobilise.com, which is a free website where you can register any property that has a serial number.
For detailed advice on making your home secure, please see Related Information. The Crime Prevention Officer at your local police force will also be able to assist.