Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q832: I've heard I don't need the paper counterpart to my photocard driving licence anymore – is this true?

    From the 08.06.15 the paper counterpart to photocard driving licences will no longer be valid and will no longer be issued by the DVLA. Note this does not affect photocard licences issued by the DVLA in Northern Ireland.

    After 08.06.15, drivers who have a photocard driving licence should destroy their paper counterpart but must keep their photocard. Paper driving licences issued before photocards are still valid and should not be destroyed.

    Courts and endorsements

    From 08.06.15, penalty points will no longer be added to driving licences. Drivers who commit endorsable motoring offences after this date will still have to pay the relevant fine and submit their driving licence to the court but the court will keep the paper counterpart and return only the photocard to the driver. For paper licences the court will return the licence but won't write/print the offence details on it. Therefore, from 08.06.15 photocard and paper licences will not give accurate information about a driver's endorsements. However, this record will be kept by the DVLA and drivers can check what it says online or by post via the link below:

    Hiring a car

    After 08.06.15, drivers who hire vehicles or who need to provide evidence of their driver record to an employer etc., will be able to do this online for free by accessing the DVLA's Share Driving Licence service. This service is only available from 08.06.15 and should be used by all photocard and paper licence holders – it will allow them to download a summary of their driver record that can be printed or shared with others. Drivers who don't have access to the internet can call DVLA and give permission for their driving record to be checked verbally by a nominated person/organisation.


    Businesses that need to check customer's/employee's driving licence counterpart can do so via the Share Driving Licence service. This new service is designed for businesses that need real-time access to driving licence information. Information via Share Driving Licence will only be made available with the consent of the driving licence holder.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites