Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q796: Who will handle complaints made against Police and Crime Commissioners and the Mayors Office for Policing and Crime?

    The Police and Crime Commissioners, the Mayor's Office for Policing and Crime and their deputies will uphold the highest standards of public office. However, in the event that there is a complaint or an allegation against one of them, it is important that this is handled effectively to ensure public confidence in policing is maintained.

    Allegations of criminal behaviour against these office holders will therefore have to be referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC ).

    The main reason for requiring such an allegation to be referred to the IOPC is that, otherwise, the office holder may be (or may be perceived to be) at an advantage in relation to the police investigation because of his or her responsibilities for holding their police force to account.

    The IOPC has extensive experience of handling sensitive, complex and high profile cases and will provide independent scrutiny to the handling and investigation of allegations of criminal behaviour in this context. Where a complaint is not serious enough to require investigation by or under the management of the IOPC , it will be resolved informally by the police and crime panel.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarHalf StarStarStarStarNot at all relevant

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question