Q791: What do Police and Crime Commissioners do?
Police and Crime Commissioners aim to cut crime and deliver an effective and efficient police service within the force area. They are working towards this by:
- holding the chief constable to account for the delivery of the force
- setting and updating a police and crime plan
- setting the force budget and precept
- regularly engaging with the public and communities
- appointing, and where necessary dismissing, the chief constable.
See Q790 for the powers of a Police and Crime Commissioner and see the website in related information to find out about your local Police and Crime Commissioner.