Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q789: I am a tenant and wish to sub-let. What is the law regarding sub-letting?

    Sub-letting without permission is normally considered a matter of civil, rather than criminal law.

    However, if you are a tenant that is living in social housing and you decide to sub-let your property or assist someone else to sub-let such a property, you may have committed a criminal offence.

    It is the responsibility of Local Authorities, rather than the police, to prosecute any instances of unlawful sub-letting.

    The Citizens Advice Bureau provide comprehensive information relating to both the civil and criminal liabilities which can arise when a property is sub-let without the relevant permissions.

    Please see the link in related information.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites