Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q789: I am a tenant and wish to sub-let. What is the law regarding sub-letting?

    Sub-letting without permission is normally considered a matter of civil, rather than criminal law.

    However, if you are a tenant that is living in social housing and you decide to sub-let your property or assist someone else to sub-let such a property, you may have committed a criminal offence.

    It is the responsibility of Local Authorities, rather than the police, to prosecute any instances of unlawful sub-letting.

    The Citizens Advice Bureau provide comprehensive information relating to both the civil and criminal liabilities which can arise when a property is sub-let without the relevant permissions.

    Please see the link in related information.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites