Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q763: I have been injured by a cyclist who was riding dangerously and/or carelessly. Can I report this to the Police?

    Cyclists are required by law to act responsibly. It is a criminal offence to ride a cycle either dangerously or without due care and attention whilst on a road. It is also a criminal offence to ride a cycle in a public place or road whilst unfit through drink or drugs.

    If you witness anyone you believe to be riding a cycle in contravention of these laws then you can report the matter to your local Police.

    If you have been injured due to the misconduct of a cyclist then they may be guilty of a separate offence of causing injury by 'wanton or furious driving'.

    Pedestrians should also be aware that riding a cycle on a footpath or pavement is, in itself, an offence and could be evidence that the cyclist was riding in a dangerous manner.

    Advice on safe cycling and the relevant provisions of the Highway Code are available via the link in 'Related Information'.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites