Q752: I want to join the Special Constabulary, how do I go about it?
Basic eligibility requirements are the same for Special Constables as for joining the regular police force; you must be 18 and there is no upper age limit, although you will need to be reasonably fit and in good health. In addition:
- there are no minimum or maximum height requirements
- there is no formal educational requirement, but you will have to pass various written tests which include scenarios
- only applications from member states of the European Economic Area (EEA), or other nationals who have leave to enter or remain in the UK for an indefinite period, will be accepted
- convictions or cautions may make you ineligible, but this will depend on the nature and circumstances of the offence and how long ago the offence was committed
- you will serve a two year probationary period in which you will need to gain the relevant experience and knowledge to be confirmed as special constable.
Further information can be obtained from your local police force websites or you can contact the relevant recruitment department via that police force's non emergency number.
For further information please see the related websites.