Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q706: Do churches require licences to undertake activities that would affect bats within the structure of the building?

    Yes. Bats are a European Protected Species (EPS) and, as such, it is an offence to deliberately capture or kill bats, to deliberately disturb a bat or to damage or destroy a breeding site or resting site of any bat.

    If it is necessary for such activities to be undertaken, the appropriate licence should be obtained through the following authorities:

    Natural England
    Tel: 0845 6014523

    Welsh Government
    Tel: 0300 062 2253

    For more information and to download a licence application form, please see the related websites. A 'Management Guide' in relation to bats in churches is also available via the link provided.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites