Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q705: I am planning a development in an area or building which might have bats. I know that they are protected, what should I do?

    If bats are present you are likely to need a licence under The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 and to carry out mitigation to ensure that the bats retain their required habitat. Initially you will need to arrange a survey for bats with a competent consultant. The results of this survey should be made available to the local planning authority to aid them in making a decision on the planning application. Following discussion with your consultant you in should apply for a licence from Natural England if required before you can start work. For further advice you can contact the Wildlife Licensing Unit on 0845 6014523 or email:

    For more information please see the related website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites