Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q705: I am planning a development in an area or building which might have bats. I know that they are protected, what should I do?

    If bats are present you are likely to need a licence under The Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 and to carry out mitigation to ensure that the bats retain their required habitat. Initially you will need to arrange a survey for bats with a competent consultant. The results of this survey should be made available to the local planning authority to aid them in making a decision on the planning application. Following discussion with your consultant you in should apply for a licence from Natural England if required before you can start work. For further advice you can contact the Wildlife Licensing Unit on 0845 6014523 or email:

    For more information please see the related website.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarHalf StarStarStarQuite useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites