Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q67: I have lost my credit/debit card, what should I do?

    Lost and found property is not the police's responsibility, however some forces do provide a service with regards to lost and found property. You can find out if your local force offer this by telephoning their non-emergency 101 number.

    It is imperative that you report the matter to the bank first, as the card needs to be deactivated so that it cannot be used. Once lost or stolen, if your card is used without your knowledge then you may incur a charge which can vary from bank to bank. However, if you were negligent then it may be that you will be liable for all the losses.

    Many banks and credit card companies offer Credit Card Protection schemes which for a relatively modest fee you only need to report the loss to one company and they will notify all other credit card companies and banks on your behalf.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question