Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q669: Do you have any information on moving an abnormal load?

    Before an abnormal load can be transported on a road the operator has to comply with the conditions of the following legislation:

    • The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986,
    • The Road Vehicles (Authorised Weights) Regulations 1998,
    • The Road Vehicles (Authorisation of Special Types) (General) Order 2003

    The driver must notify the Police and in addition, if the gross weight or axle weights exceed those specified in the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, he must notify the Highway Authority and all bridge owners along the proposed route.

    If the load exceeds any of the following widths or lengths or 80 tonnes gross weight – two days notice is required by the police.

    C & U and STGO – Over 305 mm overhang on either side
    C & U – Over 2.9 metres overall width
    STGO – Over 3 metres overall length

    C & U – Over 18.65 metres rigid length
    STGO – Over 18.75 metres rigid length
    C & U and STGO – Over 25.9 metres overall length
    C & U and STGO – Over 3.05 metres overhang to front or rear

    If the abnormal load exceeds the maximum authorised weight for its class of vehicle (normally 44 tones) but does not exceed 80 tonnes gross weight, the movement requires two clear days' notice (with indemnity) to the Highways and Bridges Authorities.

    If the load exceeds 80 tonnes, five clear days' notice (with indemnity) is required to the Highways and Bridges Authorities.

    Generally, there are no restrictions on when an abnormal load can be moved. However most Police forces will restrict the hours when loads can be moved. Normally they will be prohibited during the hours of darkness and at peak-traffic periods.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question