Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q664: I have had an accident with a foreign vehicle, what should I do?

    This information has been reproduced with the kind permission of the Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB).

    • If the insurer's name is known check the MIB website for any Green Card Agents who will handle the claim on behalf of the foreign insurer.
    • If the insurer's name is not known, contact the MIB's Green card department on 01908 830001.
    • if the accident involves a foreign lorry, take a note of the registration plate from the front of the lorry (there may be a different number on the trailer) as well as the policy and Green card numbers.
    • For security reasons, we can't reproduce a Green card here, however, the numbered boxes relate as follows:
      3- validity dates
      4 - Green card number
      5 - Registration or chassis number
      6 - Category and make of vehicle
      7 - Policy holder and user name and address
      8 - Insurer's name

    For more information see website in related information.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    Related information

    Web Sites