Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q663: I am taking my car abroad, do I need extra insurance?

    You need to inform your insurance company that you will be driving abroad. There may be an extra premium involved and they may give you with a Green Card. A Green Card is a document that proves that the minimum legal requirement for insurance cover for countries which accept the document has been met. Even if your insurance company don't issue you with a Green Card, it might be worth requesting one as it is a document that is well recognised by police all over Europe.

    Insurance certificates issued in Community Member States (EU) provide third party cover throughout all other member states.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites