Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q660: Do I have to report an accident/collision that happened in a car park to the police?

    If you're the driver of a mechanically propelled vehicle (car, motorcycle, bus, lorry etc.) that's involved in an accident on a road or public place and:

    • a person, other than yourself, is injured
    • damage is caused to another vehicle or to someone else's property - including street lamps, signs, bollards etc.
    • an animal, other than one in your own vehicle/trailer, has been killed or injured (animal means any horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog)

    You must stop and provide your details and in some cases produce your insurance certificate. If you don't you must report the matter to the police - it's against the law not to. For a fuller explanation of accident law see Q894.

    Some car parks can be classed as public places e.g. supermarket car parks. However, car parks belonging to private organisations where members of the public would not ordinarily be permitted may not be classed as public places and accidents occurring there should be reported directly to your insurance company. If in doubt it is better to report the matter to the police and be guided by their advice.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites