Q658: What are the requirements to legally drive a car in the United Kingdom?
To drive a motor vehicle legally on a road you must:
- ensure you have a valid licence with valid categories for the vehicle you are driving,
- have insurance that covers you for the vehicle you are driving,
- have an MOT (on vehicles over 3 years old),
- make sure the vehicle is taxed,
- make sure the vehicle is registered,
- ensure the vehicle is in roadworthy condition.
If you come for abroad to take up residency in the UK, you must register and tax your vehicle with the DVLA immediately - UK residents are not allowed to drive foreign registered vehicles on UK roads. With regard to insurance, you must have UK insurance for a UK registered vehicle. Therefore, if you insurer a UK registered vehicle in another country, you have no insurance to drive on UK roads and are committing an offence.