Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q637: There is a tree/part of a car/an unidentified object lying in/near the road that could cause an accident - who should I contact to get it removed?

    If the obstruction is in the road and in a dangerous position then you should contact the police who will remove it.

    If the object is lying at the side or edge of the road and not in a dangerous position then you should contact your local unitary or county council who are responsible for removing any obstacles that could cause an accident on roads in their area. They should have an emergency number for dealing with problems outside normal working hours.

    See the website in related information to find out your local council's details.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites