Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q627: I want to go and collect my belongings from my ex partner/family, can you assist?

The police may be able to assist in certain circumstances. They will not however get involved in civil property disputes and you should seek advice from a lawyer or Citizens Advice Bureau with regards to this.

If the other party agrees to your proposed action e.g. the collection of belongings, but you are concerned for your safety, a police officer may accompany you to prevent a breach of the peace. Where possible the police will check that the other party agrees to the proposed action and may explore any alternatives e.g. meeting at a neutral location to exchange belongings. If the other party does not agree to the proposed action, then it would be advisable not to attend due to the risk of provoking a breach of the peace, and to contact a solicitor or Citizens Advice Bureau instead regarding alternative options.

For most forces you must have your own form of transport to and from the address. You need to go to the station which covers the area of the house where the belongings are. Unfortunately it is not a high priority for police so you may have a long wait.

It is advisable to speak to your local station as some forces will have different policies.

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


Web Sites