Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q624: How can I get a check of my criminal records for pre-employment vetting purposes?

    The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) is a Central Body which exists to allow employers (including educational establishments) who are registered with them to obtain checks on employees/students. If the employer is not registered then you can apply to Disclosure Scotland for a Basic Disclosure, see below for more information.

    There are three types of checks that the DBS can currently do.

    Standard disclosure - this shows current convictions, cautions and youth cautions held on the Police National Computer (PNC). It costs £26 for standard disclosure.

    Enhanced disclosure - for posts involving a far greater degree of contact with children or vulnerable adults. It is the highest level of check for those responsible, caring for, training or supervising children or vulnerable adults. It contains the same information as a standard disclosure check but also includes relevant and proportionate information held by local police forces. It costs £44 for enhanced disclosure. See the website in related information for more details.

    Enhanced disclosure with list checks - this can only be requested by an employer for specific roles and it is a criminal offence to ask for a check for any other roles. It is like the enhanced check, but includes a check of the DBS barred lists, and takes about 4 weeks. It costs £44.

    See Q89 for details of exceptions to some convictions and cautions being disclosed.

    The DBS aims to process 90% of Standard checks in 10 days and 90% of Enhanced checks in 4 weeks.

    The DBS also offer a service where you can check the progress of the checks online.

    If you want the check for pre-employment vetting purposes and you are not required to declare spent convictions then you can apply for basic disclosure through Disclosure Scotland. Although based in Scotland it is the sister organisation to the DBS and does criminal records checks for individuals from England and Wales as well as Scotland. The Basic Disclosure check provides individuals with a list of only unspent convictions that they should declare if the employer has no exemption to the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, see website in related information.

    If you want a check for emigration or visa purposes then please see Q542.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question