Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q605: I have seen some electrically assisted pedal cycles advertised are they legal to use on the roads without insurance etc?

    Electrically assisted pedal cycles that meet the requirements of the Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles Regulations 1983 can be driven on the road and don't need to be taxed, registered, insured and the rider won't need a driving licence but they must be at least 14 years of age. The main requirements listed in the Regulations are that:

    • the bike must have pedals that can be used to propel it
    • the electric motor shouldn't be able to propel the bike when it's travelling more than 15.5 mph
    • the bike (including its battery but not the rider) must not be heavier than 40 kilograms (kg) if it's a bicycle, or 60kg if it's a tandem or tricycle
    • the motor shouldn't have a maximum power output of more than 250 watts
    • the bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer, the nominal voltage of the battery, and the motor's power output

    Vehicles that don't meet the requirements of the Regulations are not Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles will therefore need to be taxed, registered, insured and the rider will require a licence. The vehicle will also have to comply with type approval requirements. If you are considering buying such a vehicle we would suggest you only buy from a reputable dealer who is able to provide you with the relevant assurances that the vehicle is a proper electrically assisted pedal cycle.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarHalf StarStarUseful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites