Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q599: I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft, is there anything I can do?

There are a number of things you can do,

  • Notify all companies/organisations that you are moving, see below for a guide of who to notify.
  • Redirect your mail, see website in related information, you can register for a minimum of a month and for a maximum of 2 years.
  • Register with the Mail Preference Service, you can register your new and previous address, see website in related information.
  • If possible call round at your previous address to collect any stray mail that may have been delivered.

Suggested list of organisations to notify on moving house,

  • telephone provider
  • mobile phone network
  • local authority
  • gas and electric companies
  • water authority
  • credit card companies
  • banks/building societies
  • GP's surgery
  • Dentist
  • Optician
  • DVLA for driving licence
  • vehicle documents, V5 etc
  • any organisation/society that you are a member of
  • TV licence
  • any guarantees that you have
  • cable/satellite TV companies
  • friends/relatives
  • employers
  • loyalty cards

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating

StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


Web Sites