Q599: I am moving house and I am worried about the next occupants using my mail for identity theft, is there anything I can do?
There are a number of things you can do,
- Notify all companies/organisations that you are moving, see below for a guide of who to notify.
- Redirect your mail, see website in related information, you can register for a minimum of a month and for a maximum of 2 years.
- Register with the Mail Preference Service, you can register your new and previous address, see website in related information.
- If possible call round at your previous address to collect any stray mail that may have been delivered.
Suggested list of organisations to notify on moving house,
- telephone provider
- mobile phone network
- local authority
- gas and electric companies
- water authority
- credit card companies
- banks/building societies
- GP's surgery
- DVLA for driving licence
- vehicle documents, V5 etc
- any organisation/society that you are a member of
- TV licence
- any guarantees that you have
- cable/satellite TV companies
- loyalty cards