Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q59: I want the police to go and get my child. He/She is with the mother/father and they won't bring them back, there is no official residence order.

    You need to contact your solicitor to see if they can resolve the issue and if not, to seek a custody hearing in front of the judge.

    The police have no powers to go and remove the child unless there is concern for the child's safety. However, the police will do a welfare check on your child to confirm that the child is fit and well if there are possible concerns over their wellbeing.

    See also the web app provided by the Department for Work and Pensions 'Sorting out separation' (link in related information).

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question