Q572: What is the law with regards to graffiti?
Below is a brief overview of the different law concerning graffiti ,
- Graffiti is an offence of criminal damage and, if prosecuted, the offender could face a fine or even imprisonment.
- Under 16's are not permitted to buy aerosol paint cans.
- Local authorities can issue fixed penalty notices for offences of graffiti.
- Local authorities are responsible for cleaning it up from public buildings and fixtures. They can also clean it from private buildings and can bill the owner for the work.
- Graffiti should, initially, be reported to the local authority.
See the website in related information to find your local authority.
If you know someone who is causing graffiti call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111