Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q567: What is the law relating to swans and what should I do if I find an injured swan?

    Wild unmarked mute swans belong to the Crown. As such this means that taking or killing a swan could amount to theft and injuring them could amount to criminal damage (both these offences committed against swans have been successfully prosecuted in recent years).

    If you see an injured swan then contact the RSPCA. Do not approach as swans can attack and you may injure yourself or further distress/injure the bird.

    RSPCA - 0300 1234 999

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question