Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q542: I need a police check for immigration / emigration purposes, what do I have to do?

    There is a scheme for anyone requiring a visa (residential, working or tourist) or wishing to emigrate to one of the following Countries:

    • Australia
    • Belgium
    • Canada
    • Cayman Islands
    • New Zealand
    • South Africa
    • United States Of America

    If this affects you, you will require a form called a Police Certificate which can be obtained from ACRO, please see link in the related information.

    For other countries

    The police can make checks of what is held on their systems about individuals, it is known as a subject access request and is not a criminal records check. The police will provide you with a certificate stating that there is either no information held about you on the police systems or it will detail any convictions.

    To obtain a subject access request form, contact your local police force.

    Subject access checks have to be completed within 1 month of the request being received. Although the police will consider every request, they are under no obligation to provide all of the data and there are exceptions to providing data e.g. if it is likely to jeopardise an investigation.

    The name of the form and procedure may vary slightly from force to force. If you have further questions about submitting the application, contact the relevant police force.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites