Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q53: I have bought something that does not work, what can I do?

    The law states that goods must be either of satisfactory quality, as described or fit for purpose. If goods have been supplied and they are not of satisfactory quality, you are entitled to either a repair, replacement or a refund.

    These rights are valid for six years from the time of purchase. The solution offered by the retailer should be proportionate and take into account the usage and amount of time since the product was purchased. This does not include wear and tear.

    If the problem has occurred within the first six months, then it is believed to have been supplied in that condition unless the trader/retailer can prove otherwise.

    The retailer is entitled to see proof of purchase, which is normally, but not necessarily the receipt.

    The government also offer help and advice in the form of Consumer Direct tel: 08454 04 05 06 and Trading Standards may also be able to help.
    Please see the websites in Related Information for more details.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarVery Useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites