Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q513: How do I get my licence back after I have been disqualified?

    If your driving licence has been taken away because you've been disqualified you must apply for a new licence before you can start driving again. The way in which you apply will depend on whether you're a high risk offender. You're a high risk offender if you:

    • were convicted of 2 drink driving offences within 10 years
    • were driving with an alcohol reading of at least 87.5 microgrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of breath, 200 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood, or 
267.5 milligrammes of alcohol per 100 millilitres of urine
    • refused to give the police a sample of breath, blood or urine to test for alcohol
    • refused to allow a sample of your blood to be tested for alcohol (eg if it was taken when you were unconscious)

    Medical examination with a DVLA doctor
    You'll be sent an application form by the DVLA 90 days before your disqualification ends. During this period you must have a medical examination that will be conducted by one of the DVLA's appointed doctors - you will need to pay for this. This in intended to establish whether you're fit to drive and will include:

    • a questionnaire about your medical history and use of alcohol
    • a physical examination
    • blood tests

    Non-high risk offenders
    DVLA will send you form D27, 56 days before your disqualification ends. You must complete this form and return it to the DVLA . You may have to include a new passport type photograph with your application. If you don't receive your renewal form you can order one from the DVLA's online ordering service

    Bus, coach or lorry licence
    You will need to complete form D2. You can order a D2 form from DVLA

    Northern Ireland
    You will need to contact the Driver and Vehicle Agency (DVA ).

    Non-GB licence holders
    DVLA will return your licence when your disqualification period ends.

    Short Period Disqualification (SPD)
    A disqualification of less than 56 days is known as a Short Period Disqualification (SPD). You won't need to renew your licence.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question


    Web Sites