Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force
  • Explore Popular Topics

    Q512: I have got to produce my documents but I am away on holiday/ on business and do not have the documents, what should I do?

    It may be a matter of being pragmatic in these circumstances and carry your driving documents with you (meaning on your person or placed in the hotel safe etc. and not left unattended in the car).

    It is an offence not to produce your documents to a police officer upon request. However, you are allowed to:

    • produce the documents within seven days at a police station specified at the time the producer (HO/RT1) was given or
    • produce the documents at the specified station as soon as is reasonably practicable. The length of time this means will be taken on a case by case basis.

    So in the above situation you should make every effort to produce the required documents as soon as possible, there is no guarantee however that your reasons for non-production will be accepted and you will then be reported for summons.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question