Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q499: My car has been broken into what should I do?

    If your car has been broken into then you should report the crime to your local police - some forces may have the facility to report it online.

    If you witness someone breaking into your car then ring 999, otherwise use the non-emergency 101 number.

    Even if you are not going to make a claim from your insurance company you should still report the matter to the police, because if crimes are not reported the police will not be aware of any potential crime patterns and will not be able to take any positive action.

    If there are items (with a smooth surface e.g. cd cover, de-icer can) in the car that you think the offender may have touched then contact your local police station about the possibility of the items being fingerprinted.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question