Q491: I keep getting pop up boxes that take me to websites with indecent images of children, what should I do?
- disabling the messenger service on your local workstation,
- the use of anti-virus/firewall software that prevent pop-ups.
Below is some basic advice for preventing pop ups:
If using Windows 10 -
- Open Internet Explorer,
- Click Tools,
- Click Internet Options,
- Select the privacy tab then tick the box saying : "Block pop-ups".
Below is some basic advice for what action to take when a pop-up is on your screen:
- Disconnect from the Internet.
- Bring up task manager,
- Right click the task bar itself (bar with start button on it),
- Select Task Manager from the context menu,
- Select the Applications tab,
- Right-click the pop-up window and all Internet Explorer applications (must be done one by one)
- Select End Task from the context menu.
- If this does not remove the pop-up window then reboot your workstation
If you have any serious concerns over indecent images of children then contact your local police, via their 101 number. Additionally, the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF) is the UK internet Hotline for anyone to report online child sexual abuse imagery and non-photographic child sexual abuse images anonymously.
IWF works internationally to make the internet safer. They help victims of child sexual abuse worldwide by identifying and removing online images and videos of their abuse. Please see related information for a link to their website.
Remember - If you know about a child who is in immediate risk or danger, dial 999