Q484: What do the police class as an emergency/when can I call 999?
Listed below are a few examples of emergencies when it would be necessary to call 999. This is not however an exhaustive list and common sense must prevail.
General circumstances of an incident reported to the police, when there is or likely to be,
- danger to life
- use, or immediate threat of use, of violence
- Serious injury to a person and/or
- serious damage to property
- the crime is, or likely to be serious and in progress
- an offender has just been disturbed at the scene
- an offender has been detained and poses, or is likely to pose, a risk to other people
Road traffic accident
- involves, or is likely to involve, serious personal injury
- the road is blocked or there is a dangerous or excessive build up of traffic.