Q482: What are the rules for towing trailers with motorcycles?
Number of trailers
- draw more than 1 trailer,
- carry any passengers in the trailer (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle),
- draw a trailer with an unladen weight exceeding 254 kg (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle).
Motor bicycles (two wheeled motorcycles) without a sidecar
If it doesn't exceed 125cc:
- it cannot tow any trailer (unless it is towing a broken down motorcycle).
If it exceeds 125cc (the following provisions don't apply if it is towing a broken down motorcycle):
- it cannot tow a trailer exceeding 1 m in overall width,
- the distance between the rear axle of the motor cycle and the rearmost part of the trailer does not exceed 2.5 m,
- the motor cycle must be clearly marked with its kerbside weight,
- the trailer must be clearly marked with its unladen weight; and
- the laden weight of the trailer must not exceed 150 kg or two thirds of the kerbside weight of the motor cycle, whichever is the less.