Q481: Can you give me any advice about personal safety whilst out shopping?
Listed below are a few points which will help to ensure you and your belongings are safe:
- Keep bags closed and secure at all times.
- Conceal your wallet or purse in a buttoned or zipped pocket where it doesn't bulge.
- Avoid putting valuables such as phones, wallets or purses in your back pocket.
- Do not carry large amounts of cash with you when shopping.
- Keep pin numbers secure, do not write them down.
- If the fastening of your handbag is on the side, keep the side with the fastening closest to your body and not exposed.
- Rucksack type bags with the opening on the back are not a good place to keep valuables as they are easily opened.
- Keep your purse or wallet at the bottom of your bag.
- Do not carry too many bags of shopping as it makes you vulnerable against pick pockets.
- Do not hang bags on the back of a chair.
Here are some general personal safety tips to follow when you are out and about:
- Do not walk home alone late at night. If you do, choose well-lit main roads and walk confidently.
- If someone does grab your bag fighting back is not always a good idea, you do not know if your attacker has a weapon.
- Always be aware of your surroundings and the people around you. Reading or listening to music can be distracting.
- In a busy public place, try to only use your mobile phone in an emergency as it is advertising the fact that you have a phone, and whilst using it you may be distracted, making it easier to take it from you.
- Carry a personal safety alarm.
- If you are worried or threatened on public transport, contact the guard or the British Transport Police.
- If you are attacked it is often better to shout 'fire' rather than 'help', it tends to attract more attention.