Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

Q475: Kids are driving up and down the road in motor cars and I don't think they are old enough to drive, can the police help?

If you know the names of the youths involved and the registration number of the vehicles they are using then you can contact your local police. It is important to contact the police as soon as the youths in the cars arrive, as it will give the police more of a chance of catching them.

The cars used are often what are known as pool cars and have no insurance, tax or MoT. If you are aware of where these cars are being left then contact the police so they can be towed away. You can report nuisance motor vehicles to your local police force via their 101 non-emergency number.

The police have a number of powers to deal with the use of such vehicles these include the seizure of the vehicle under section 165A of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Power to seize vehicles driven without licence or insurance) or section 59 of the Police Reform Act 2002 (seizure of vehicles used in manner causing alarm, distress or annoyance).

How useful did you find the answer?

Current answer rating


If you can't find the answer? Ask a question