Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q441: Someone has left a car on my land, what should I do?

    Getting a vehicle removed from private land can potentially be an involved matter. However, we would suggest the following:

    If the vehicle is in a dangerous condition e.g. it's leaking petrol or contains dangerous items such as gas bottles, we would suggest you contact your local police via the non-emergency 101 number or 999 if an emergency response is required.

    If you think the vehicle is abandoned, we would suggest you contact your local council via the link below:

    Councils must remove abandoned vehicles from both land in the open air and roads (including private roads). However, local council policies differ in relation to this so we would suggest you discuss the matter with them - it may help if you speak with a manager.

    If the vehicle isn't abandoned or in a dangerous condition, you will need to seek legal guidance from a solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau via the links below. The options here would be to either get a court order from a civil court for the removal of the vehicle or pursue a civil action for nuisance against the driver/owner of the vehicle. However, taking legal action can be a long and potentially expensive process but you may have some cover in relation to this on your house insurance.

    Points to note:

    • Under no circumstances would we advocate you merely pushing the vehicle onto a road and leaving it there, as you may commit an offence.
    • Don't damage/clamp the vehicle or have it removed by a third party without first seeking legal advice. If you do any of these things, you may commit a criminal offence or the owner may pursue a civil action against you.
    • You may be able to obtain the cost of having the vehicle removed from the owner but you will need to speak to your legal advisor about this.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating


    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information

    Web Sites