Enter your town or postcode to see information from your local force

    Q440: Someone has parked his or her car and it is blocking my driveway ...

    Specified enforcement powers for parking offences, of which parking on a dropped kerb over a driveway is one, have been transferred from the police to become a local authority responsibility throughout many counties in England and Wales. The responsibility varies from force to force and council to council.

    If the vehicle is blocking access to your driveway then you should first make enquiries with the neighbours to see if they know who the car belongs to. If no one knows, then you should contact your local authority parking enforcement team in the first instance who will attend to the matter as soon as they are able.

    If the responsibility for that particular locality remains with the police, then the local authority will inform you so that you can contact your local force. Policy may vary from force to force and council to council; some may only attend if your car is blocked in and you cannot get out.

    How useful did you find the answer?

    Current answer rating

    StarStarStarStarStarQuite useful

    Do you still need to contact the police?

    If you can't find the answer? Ask a question

    For police non-emergencies dial 101
    Related information